February 6, 2009

Stupid Classroom Rules

Guilty secret - I snapped a furtive picture of a poster at a Junior High School. I couldn't resist:


I know it's a terrible picture. I know I'm not supposed to focus on the negative. I know I'm supposed to keep a positive attitude. But seriously: "I will keep your hands and feet to yourself?" "I will celebrate each other's acheivements?" Yikes.

This is what No Child Left Behind has done for us. It should have been called "No Child Left Behind Except Those Children Who Live Where Property Values Are Too Low to Provide Tax Income Sufficient to Hire Actual Professionals As Teachers."

2 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Oh dear.

And that's junior high? That's scary.

Sounds like a lot of kids are getting left behind.

These aren't even "natural" mistakes. No one would ever hear the sentence "I will keep your hands to yourself." It's almost like some adult wrote down some rules: "You will do xyz," and the kid mindlessly said "I will do xyz" without even bothering to change the rest of the sentence so it made sense.

Very depressing!

Maggie May said...

Totally agreed.